Gen. 1:3

Gen. 1:3
Let there be light.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Chicken Stuffed with Ham and Pesto

The quickest meal of them all.


I have done it! I have discovered the quickest easiest meal on the planet. It literally didn’t take me any time at all. And, above all it was amazing, low calorie, and tasted wonderful. The secret? Let me tell you another story first.

Yesterday my son came to my office to drop something off. I told him that I was having a stressful day and would probably be working late... something that I have been doing more frequently lately. I asked him to take something out of the freezer for dinner. At that exact moment I really didn’t care what it was. I could have poured ketchup on cardboard and it would have been great. He said he would, and then took off for home. He called a couple of hours later to tell me that he had chicken ready. Boy did he...

When I got home he had made a delicious meal of Ham and Chicken Pesto rolls, with salad and bread. You see, he has been doing his paramedic internship through the Sacramento City Fire District, and on his long 24-48 hour shifts, during the down time they taught him how to cook. I knew there was a reason everyone loves a fireman!

Here’s what he did:

Take boneless, skinless chicken breasts and butterfly them so they lay flat. On one side, spread a thin layer of pesto sauce. You can buy this pre-made in the store, or make your own. Lay thin slices of ham and thinly sliced tomatoes on the same side, then fold the chicken back over to cover the goodies inside. Top with shredded mozarella cheese, and sprinkle the top with seasoned Italian bread crumbs. Bake in a 350 to 375 degree oven for about 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown on top and bubbly inside.

Serve with green salad and fresh, hot french bread. It is a meal to die for. So, my secret for a quick, easy, wonder, amazing meal? Let someone else cook it for you.

Think about it. If all of the big people in your house took turns cooking, that would take the pressure off us mom-types. Also, get the little ones involved early. Start teaching them as soon as they show an interest and are able to maneuver safely around the kitchen when there are both hot and sharp things going. If you have three people in your household, then each person would only cook approximately twice a week. That is a schedule anyone can live with. And, the rule when I was growing up was if you cooked, then you didn’t have to do the dishes. That seems fair here too.

And, after a long day on my feet, to come home to that prepared meal was pure heaven. So thanks to my son for being the thoughtful, amazing man he has grown into. AND, KUDOS TO THE SACRAMENTO FIREFIGHTERS! Anyone free for a date? You can cook!

Ecc. 4:10
"If one falls down, his friend can help him up."

Enjoy!


Lori Sinclair
Psalm 23:6 "...my cup overflows."
http://www.sinclairinkspot.com/ 

You can find me on my web site, Facebook, MySpace, Classmates, Shoutlife, Yahoo, or Twitter.

Bionote: Lori is the author of three business books, numerous church skits, and several articles. She lives in Sacramento with her two children, two dogs, and cat. She loves to hear from her readers, so please email your thoughts and questions.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like something my family would like. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just copied it down. We have company coming next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this story Lori Sinclair. The recipe sounds scrumtious! Your son can visit our house anyday. Good food and friends who know how to prepare it, are always welcome.LOL! Your blog is beautiful. I love the view at the top. Happy Writing. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that sounds yummy! I'll have to try it for sure.

    BTW, your blog looks fantastic. Good job.

    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. Your encouragement is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI, Lori,
    Takes a while to gather followers, and it looks like you're doing great. This is a nice side of you to share.
    Best wishes,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete